Tulsi can rightly be termed as one of the most commonly and widely used ingredients in many Indian home remedies. From regular fever to some of the deadliest and most fatal bacterial and viral infections – tulsi can help cure or to some extent, facilitate treating most diseases. Dr. Simran Saini from New Delhi suggests consuming a drink made by boiling tulsi leaves and adding about 2grams of black pepper to it. This drink helps in building your immunity, acts as an antibacterial element and facilitates recovery from dengue. The quintessential kadha – a mix of ginger, tulsi leaves, peppercorn (crushed) in boiling hot water – is usually seen as a potion that can put most illnesses straight. Apart from these there is a bundle of other beneficial properties that this humble plant boasts of, take a look :
1. It acts as a detoxifying, cleansing and purifying agent – both from within and without.
2. Therefore it is good for skin – both when consumed and applied topically.
3. It is also effective in treating skin disorders, itching and issues like ringworms.
4. It can be made into teas or can be had raw, powdered, paste or in form herbal supplements.
5. It has antibiotic, anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-carcinogenic properties.
6. It helps in relieving from fever, headache, sore throat, cold, cough, flu and chest congestion.
7. It is also beneficial in treating respiratory ailments like chronic bronchitis, asthma et cetera.
8. Helps relieve stress, strengthen immunity, and facilitate proper digestion.
9. It is loaded with phytonutrients, essential oils, Vitamin A and C
10. Regular tulsi consumption can also aid in balancing various bodily processes.
11. It counters elevated blood sugar levels and is therefore beneficial for diabetics.
12. It helps in regulating uric acid levels in body, thereby elimination risks of developing kidney stones. It is also beneficial for those who have kidney stones.
13. According to the Central Drug Research Institute, Lucknow, India, tulsi can help in maintaining normal levels of the stress hormone – cortisol in the body.
14, It can wards off harmful effects of free radicals.
15. Is great for dental health and for healthy gums.
16. Is an effective insect repellant and can aid in treating insect bite.
17. Is also beneficial in treating conditions like hepatitis, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue and swine flu.
18. It is also known as adaptogen.